We’ve all had those days – you wake up in the morning to find your jeans will barely zip! Could that meal last night have resulted in weight gain overnight? No, you’re just suffering from a classic case of the bloat. Don’t stress. There are steps you can take right away to slip right back into your skinny jeans by dinner.
What causes bloating?
Bloating results when our bodies hold onto fluid and/or produces gas – largely due to what we eat. The usual suspects are high sodium foods like commercial soups and salty restaurant meals, because the sodium causes water retention. Other common offenders include beans, broccoli, cabbage, and gas-generating food. It’s best to avoid these foods if you know you’re sensitive. But if you’ve already indulged, you can try these tricks:
How to fight bloat
- Drink more water and eat water-rich foods like cucumbers, watermelon, and celery, to flush the body of waste
- Get your probiotics – whether from supplements or yogurt (if you’re not lactose intolerant), they can help keep your digestive system balanced
- Eat high potassium foods like bananas, grapefruits and sweet potatoes. Potassium helps flush out sodium, which makes the body retain fluids.
- Chew slowly to avoid swallowing excess air
- Skip products (and chewing gum) with “sugar alcohols”, which can cause uncomfortable gas in many people.
And if you need to de-puff in a flash, try sipping hot water with lemon. Many people find that this comforting sipper helps to relieve gas and flush out extra fluids. You’ll be back to feeling svelte and slim in no time.