‘Tis the season for overeating! Or is it? Change up your usual Thanksgiving routine with healthier versions of your favorite recipes without skimping on the flavor. Because why compromise on your favorite holiday?
Here are eight of the best healthy fall recipes out there, perfect for the big day.
1. This fall kale salad is ideal for making ahead of time. (food52.com)
2. This super creamy (yet cream-less) roasted butternut squash soup is another great option to prepare the day before. In fact, it tastes even better the next day. (cookieandkate.com)
3. Love stuffing, but not feeling stuffed? Try this lightened-up version of Scottish stuffing, which uses fiber-filled oats instead of refined white bread. (joybauer.com)
4. Similar to potatoes, Japanese kabocha squash is starchy, which makes it perfect for mashing. This version is topped with tahini, za’atar, cilantro, and spiced pumpkin seeds, but it’s also great plain if you’re not feeling the spice. (goop.com)
5. Swap out traditional cranberry sauce for this cardamom-scented cranberry chutney made with honey in place of refined sugar. The best part? It comes together in less than 30 minutes!(cooking.nytimes.com)
6. Create a signature cocktail (with less sugar and fat than traditional egg nog) for the big night. This apple sangria recipe looks equal parts refreshing and comforting. (smittenkitchen.com)
7. Craving sweet and sticky pecan pie? You can still enjoy this Thanksgiving staple even if you’re on a gluten-free or Paleo plan! Try these decadent pecan pie bars, and you can thank us later!(popsugarfitness.com)
8. A guilt-free pumpkin pie (it’s dairy-free!) with all of that familiar decadent flavor you love.(jessicamarcusrd.com)